Tumble Dryer

Sometimes life is not about technology.

Tumble dryer stopped heating – so take it apart, realise thermal fuse is blown. Clean all of the dust and lint out – reassemble – it works for a few minutes.

Repeat and rinse. This time replace thermal fuse, thermostat and heating element. Same again.

Third time run the vent pipe cleaner up the pipe – and there’s a birds nest in the vent pipe. Desiccated dead bird and all.

Moral of the story – tumble dryer problems – always clean and clean the vent just to be extra sure.


Azure and Project Nami

Some notes for later.

App Service Editor is incredible.

Uploading webfonts (woff/woff2) requires that wp-config.php has

set for the short time.

Serving woff/woff2 fonts requires that MIME types are put in place.

Add this to web.config under system.webserver. https://blogs.iis.net/richma/adding-mime-types-to-your-windows-azure-web-site

<mimeMap fileExtension=”.woff” mimeType=”application/x-font-woff” />
<mimeMap fileExtension=”.woff2″ mimeType=”application/x-font-woff2″ />

Monthly updates

Need to go research the phpmailer issues more.

The following NEW package is going to be installed:

The following packages are going to be upgraded:
  aaa_base dbus-1 dbus-1-32bit gd hwinfo ImageMagick kernel-default
  kernel-default-base libcares2 libesmtp libMagickCore1 libMagickWand1 mailx
  ntp release-notes-sles sg3_utils sudo tar timezone vim vim-base vim-data w3m
  xorg-x11-libs xorg-x11-libs-32bit xorg-x11-libX11 xorg-x11-libX11-32bit
  xorg-x11-libXfixes xorg-x11-libXfixes-32bit xorg-x11-libXrender
  xorg-x11-libXrender-32bit xorg-x11-libXv xorg-x11-libXv-32bit zlib zlib-32bit

Monthly updates

Looks like a pretty large update this month:

The following packages are going to be upgraded:
  apache2-mod_php53 bind-libs bind-utils crash crash-eppic curl gd gtk2
  gtk2-32bit gtk2-lang kernel-default kernel-default-base ksh libcurl4
  libjasper libnetpbm10 libtiff3 libtiff3-32bit libxml2 libxml2-32bit
  libxml2-python mysql mysql-client netpbm parted php53 php53-ctype php53-curl
  php53-dom php53-gd php53-iconv php53-json php53-mysql php53-pdo php53-sqlite
  php53-tokenizer php53-xmlreader php53-xmlwriter php53-zlib python-setuptools
  timezone wget yast2-core

Flybrix – Lego based mini drone

I saw a super idea for the boy’s birthday that combined two of his passions. Aeronautics and Lego.

Flybrix promised a relatively low cost entry to mini-drone design and flight – with some interesting possibilities around the Arduino platform. Automation!

I placed the order pretty early – and eventually the kit arrived.

Unboxing was fun. An anti-static bag with a mini control board, a bag of lego bits, a bag of motors and a bag of props.


We built the first Lego drone using the online instructions. Meh. No fun. Having the battery above the plane of the props meant this turned into an inverted pendulum – with inherent instability for the drone. We had many crashes and a particularly disappointed boy.


Lots of video showing a five second flight and then a massive crash.

Also we found that the Lego design was not particularly strong. Every flight, every crash – and rebuilt.

Back to the drawing board – with two goals.

  • stronger Lego model – less rebuilding
  • place the battery under the plane of the props to give more stability.

After several tries – here’s what we ended up with. It flies, it hovers, it’s actually fun.

The boy is now learning to hover an inch off the ground like a hovercraft and maneuver in three dimensions.