Strictly a console guy – I’ve been struggling to get the big blog database dumps up to the new hosting. phpMyAdmin claims to support zipped dumps – but that doesn’t work. There are also timeouts in the console for the upload and import.
I finally fixed it by using scp to move the non-compressed dump to the hosting server; and then using the Hosting Control Center to restore the dump as if it was a backup.
It’s running right now – so hopefully I’ll have happy blogs again soon.
More testing of the server migration to the cloud – and also to note that WordPress 3.1 beta 1 is now live.
Some nice features – I’ll be kicking the tyres some more on this in the coming weeks.
A trio of projects before the year-end – all interwined.
- Migration of mail from Google Apps to Hosted Exchange.
- Migration of DNS from current service provider to ‘someone new’
- Migration of blog/photos to ‘somewhere in the cloud’
Moving the mail isn’t that hard – it’s just making sure that mail doesn’t get dropped while the new MX and CNAMEs are propagating. The old mail will live on in Google Apps – the new stuff in hosted Exchange. The trickier part is making sure that ‘my customers’ get the right service – and can keep getting mail in Outlook or the web. Users eh.
Moving the DNS is part of the mid-term strategy to change ISP. Covad have been great to me since I moved to the US; sadly they are starting to show signs of decay. I need to support additional DNS records than the A, CNAME and MX records – no plans from Covad.
The final push is to move the blog servers out of the ‘home data centre’ and to a reliable, faster provider.
The ultimate aim is to divorce myself from Covad and the Static IP business DSL that has worked so well – and move to something that is much faster – but maybe without the SLA on the line itself.