I’ve been bitten multiple times with the SLES service pack upgrade routine – with Red Carpet Enterprise (ouch – that’s a long time ago) and all of the various permutations of update tooling since.
Happy to say that SLES 12 SP1 to SLES 12 SP3 was zero fuss, fast and efficient. Less than five minutes per server on Azure and around 30 seconds of planned outage.
Good job SUSE team!
This is a reminder for myself mainly.
The update servers for SLES 11 SP3 on Azure changed – and there is a pretty well managed process to change the update repos.
The process and change control for the build/rebuild is pretty straight-forward now.
Updated the main archive server from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate. Looks great – some nice features – and it seems to be faster than the previous version.
Also this blog is hosted as a SUSE Linux web server running on top of Hyper-V on top of Windows Server 2012 RC. Performance is solid. No issues to date.
Way back in the not-so-distant past the only way to update WordPress was to download (wget/ftp) updates, plugins and themes, unpack them and perform the update/install.
It is possible to pull the latest builds from subversion – but that’s really focused on the core hacker.
New in WP 2.7 was the ability to update automatically.
There were a few challenges with this – permissions, PHP modules, various host implementations – but I found it generally quite successful.
I found a great FAQ here – http://dd32.id.au/2009/02/20/wordpress-filesystem-abstraction-faq/
From the same author is a very cool plugin – core-control – it lets you enable and disable various transports – and shows the status of them.
I’ve just updated most of the hosted blogs to WordPress 2.3 – so far so good.
I need to update the integrated photo stuff to Gallery 2.2 as well – that’s going to be a lot more involved and needs some good planning and change control.
Away from home and the WordPress updates come in..
2.2.3 is a security update; also 2.3 Release Candidate 1 should be out tomorrow.
I also bumped the version of subscribe2 on the family blog – that fixed a lot of problems 🙂
The paint is still wet – but it looks like it works 🙂
Some plugins (feedwordpress) look like they are broken.
The tags look like they are using a similar idea to the Drupal taxonomy concepts – should be interesting.
My IMAP patch got included in the latest update to Copfilter.
- fix: fixes from various copfilter forum users (see the bugs section in the forum or
CHANGELOG for the details), most important ones are mentioned below
- fix: fix in cron.daily (it could hang) – thx DaPinky
- fix: IMAP Buffer increase (it could hang) – thx evilzenscientist
- fix: deleting a huge amount of mails from the spam quarantine is now possible – thx mdages
- fix: proxsmtp/tmp could get filled up without removal of old files – thx Alevizos Dimitrios
- new: ability to sort spam quarantine by columns (ex. by score level) – thx taurus
Nice to see my stuff make it 🙂 Officially “I don’t write code”