Since I wrote this post (a long, long time ago) – Office 365 now adds support for creating a trusted connector between your Linux/postfix environment and Office 365.
Much, much easier than before.
So as a reminder for me next time:
SASL for username/password
- Postfix main.cf settings
- Set up Office 365 connector and trusted IP end point
This is a reminder for myself mainly.
The update servers for SLES 11 SP3 on Azure changed – and there is a pretty well managed process to change the update repos.
Finally it arrived. Unboxed; find all of the bits needed (Micro USB power supply, USB keyboard, 2GB SD card); download the beta bits; boot and it worked.
I’ve not done anything beyond this – just checking the darn thing worked.
The process and change control for the build/rebuild is pretty straight-forward now.
Updated the main archive server from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate. Looks great – some nice features – and it seems to be faster than the previous version.
Also this blog is hosted as a SUSE Linux web server running on top of Hyper-V on top of Windows Server 2012 RC. Performance is solid. No issues to date.
Back to self hosting.
The blog has moved from home, to hosting at GoDaddy and up to Azure.
All had advantages – all had downsides. It’s the private cloud/public cloud conversation in a nutshell.
Ultimately GoDaddy performance let it down – especially for the database – was unacceptable. Their support was also pretty poor. As always “you get what you pay for” – but the bottlenecks for even simple, near static, WordPress sites were unacceptable.
Azure has a lot going for it – I am still keeping my eye on future features that are currently in beta. Performance was incredible; the process of getting apps updated was a little too cumbersome for me.
Self hosting really requires me to get dirty with the infrastructure and tuning – but the fact that I can lets me drive the performance. I’m also responsible for everything below the app – hardware, storage, network, connectivity, OS, security etc etc.
I travelled wearing my black Ximian staff shirt; then I got stopped in the airport by a Gnome fanboy who told me that the Ximian Desktop rocked!
Haha. This was forwarded to me and made me smile.
Here’s the incredible response:
- You are kidding arent you ?
- Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?
- That sounds preposterous to me.
- If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.
- Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.
- Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.
- I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.
- Posted by: jerryleecooper Posted on: 03/14/07
I wrote about moving my primary mail server to SLES 10 and Netmail 3.5.2 a month ago.
Everything has been working really well – great uptime, better performance, another box moved to SLES 10..
Except for one little thing. Grania has been commenting that some of her email is missing.
Well – it’s not been in the inbound SpamAssassin kill files; it’s not stuck on the mail server; there are no errors with connectivity; no problems with DNS or MX records. The mail has been from all over – so it’s not someone like Yahoo being picky. Also normal mail has been coming in fine – so we’ve not been blackholed.
Tonight I decided to hunt down the problem.
It was me. I missed one step for the migration of mail; to use Netmail rules and forwarding the AutoReply agent needs creating and configuring.
The AutoReply Agent also enables users to forward their messages to another e-mail address. Users can specify if they want to retain a copy of the message in their NetMail mailbox or forward the message to the designated address.
Ooops. I missed that one. Three mouse clicks later and everything is back to normal.
I just trawled the aliases and there were over 400 mails to forward to the real mailboxes.
I use IPcop and Copfilter as my firewall/spam/email filtering gateway. Free and easy. Scales well.
I’ve had problems with Copfilter running the Bayesian learning for spam assassin; in short copfilter runs a wrapper script to call into sa-learn.pl.
I found that the IMAP->message_to_file was just sitting waiting for input from the NetMail server I run. Simple fix; add a timeout to IMAP reads and increase the IMAP buffer size. This should let me get all of the body text for learning, and timeout on massive inline images.
I logged a bug and posted a fix to the DMZS-sa-learn.pl script
my $imap = Mail::IMAPClient->new(
Server => ‘foo.com:143’,
User => ‘spamtrainer’,
Password => ‘longpassword’,
Debug => ‘1’,
Timeout => ‘5’,
Buffer => ‘65536’,
Spam training is working perfectly now – Copfilter is eating its way through 3600 spam and about 6000 ham (non spam) messages.